Worth the Standing O?

The unit was interesting to me. A huge part of leadership is performance appraisals of team members and staff. I think I forget about this element because I am not one for confrontation, especially if it is bad. But I have realized how vital this is to not only a unit’s or department’s success but to the individual and their ability to improve and become the best they can be. It is all about helping an individual improve so they can become the best product they can be. It also is huge for employee retention. I love the example of the manager who met with each person on her team every month, despite the fact that she had over 100 employees on her unit. What a commitment to her team! One of the hardest things for me when it comes to performance evaluation as an employee is remembering my goals throughout the year. I know I have a level of responsibility to be aware of what the goals are and how I can accomplish them but it is hard. There are so many things to do during a shift to take care of patients and then you through on top of that all of the education you have to do. There is so much to be done! I have often suggested to my manager that he would have better performance if there was a way for him or our team leads to meet with each staff member multiple times throughout the year to discuss goals and how people are doing. I for one, know that would help me so much. And now, Intermountain is implementing quarterly check ins, which I think is so great! I had my first one this last week and it was so helpful to see where I am at in my goals and how I can improve. I feel a new sense of motivation to do better because I was reminded what I need to do. The fact that this manager met with her team, she had clear communication and they knew where they stood. I’m sure she had great retention and high performing staff. All in all, a solid performance evaluation can make or break an employee and either strengthen or weaken a team. They are absolutely vital to progression for the individual and as a whole.

The team activities were great this week. Again, I feel very fortunate to have the team that I do because everybody is motivated to do the work and do it well. We are all respectful of each other and each do our part. The fact that we had three discussions this week, it was kind of a lot but it was good discussion. I was slightly worried about my post regarding the greatest leader of all time because I chose a religious leader and I didn’t know where some of my teammates stood regarding religion. But, I felt strongly enough that the leader I chose was in fact the greatest of all time that I decided to do. I tried really hard to stick to the facts and not push my opinions or beliefs on anyone. Surprisingly I think it went over well, granted I didn’t see anyones faces when they read my post but I think it went okay. In regards to the other discussions I think we all had pretty similar opinions on what disciplinary action to take (if any) and what the breakdown of a performance evaluation categories would include. One of my team members specifically tailored his answers to the nursing role and I thought that was very helpful. He included a lot of detail and I imagine that’s how each evaluation should be for each role. The generic categories can be boring and not specific, therefore hard to use. But his made everything clear.

This information was important for me to recognize and learn so that I can not only be a better employee but hopefully a better leader. We all want to score well when it comes to being evaluated, it is how we know where we stand. If evaluations are not done, nothing and no one will improve. It is as simple as that. Even though it takes time to meet with each person and go through evaluations, they have to be done. It is how your strengthen your best employees and weed out the ones poisoning the pond. If you want your employees to perform up to the standard or beyond those standards, you have to point out how they can get that standing ovation at the end of the year. They need to see the path and the end goal.